Thursday, January 23, 2014

VIA Special Assignment



Purpose:

To visit a local advertising agency in order to gain an understanding of the many possible career opportunities; To engage in a fictitious design problem with authentic graphic designers; to present and receive feedback about your artwork from authentic graphic designers.

Reflections:

First Visit

When I first found out we were going to Via, I couldn’t tell you my emotions.  I didn’t exactly know what it was and how it would inspire my class time in graphic design.  Once we got talking about Via in class, ideas popped into my head and my head starting spinning.  I realized that Via will be a fun place for all of us and a place where we can all relate. After starting this class earlier this fall, I didn’t exactly know truly what graphic design was but when I started taking the class, I fell in love with the concept and Via has enhanced that love.
When we first arrived at Via, the outside structure looked like a library.  This immediately caught my attention because I always enjoyed the feeling of libraries.  Once we walked inside the building, our whole class’s eyes lit up.  We were so excited to be here and share this experience.  The fact that Via is a cool place just made it all the better.  The inspiring and surprising artwork followed you through every room.  The artwork really gave a perspective of a fun, loving, and enjoyable place to work.  This was reflected by the people who worked with us.  They were enthusiastic, excited, and clearly are satisfied with their lifestyle.
The introduction movie that we watched before starting our challenge really gave me an idea of what design and art is trying to communicate to the world.  Graphic designers want to help the world and communicate peace.  I realized without them, we wouldn’t be able to survive our high-tech, modern world we live in today.  The video emphasized the importance of helping others.  At Via, they are always looking for new information and fresh ideas which is why the workers work as a family together.  When we use simple, everyday things, our minds don’t really go to the root of the product, just what it’s used for.  Outsiders of Via don’t understand that simplicity is complicated and it takes a lot of thinking to create even the most simplest, effective way to show something.


Second Visit

While we were riding the bus on the way to VIA, I was hoping we’d be able to work with the same people that we did last time. Personally, I felt there were extremely helpful, outgoing, and inspiring for our own work in the classroom.  One thing that I really enjoyed was their environment and friendliness.  When we first visited, I had to take everything in and couldn’t appreciate everything at first. Going a second time helped me to connect more with our mentors.  While explaining our ideas, they were always positive.  Even though they knew that we were beginners, they didn’t criticize our work.  As each of us finished our presentations of our logos, they gave us feedback that was helpful and you could tell that they genuinely were very interested in our work and weren’t asking questions just to get by.
I’d have to say my favorite moment of the trip was when Teddy asked Ihila what she was doing next summer.  Immediately in head I knew that it was either going to be a job or an internship and I couldn’t stop smiling.  Ihila was so thrilled and excited when he offered her an internship and she couldn’t stop talking about it.  To me, that’s what a passionate person acts like.  Ihila will be embedded in Teddy and all the workers brains for a while because she has a passion that they can see will be useful.
A final note that really meant a lot to me was when Teddy went over his videos he wanted to show us.  In general, he emphasized how we should all just follow our dreams and use our passions. I know it sounds really corny, but he had a really good point.  He said how everyone at VIA loves what they do and will continue because they have passion. It made me think about my goals in class and outside of class.  I really am hoping to visit VIA again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment