Thursday, January 23, 2014

Logo Designs

Purpose:

To understand the process of logo design;
To design a clear and effective logo for the chosen company scenario

Reflection:


The name of my company is Kat Korner.  My company manufactures/sells cat food! I have a cat at home, so the fact that I got to work my personal life into my logo was pretty awesome.  The target audience for my product would obviously be any cat owner!



When I read about the Introduction to Logo Design, there were five key points that were essential in designing a logo: Simple, memorable, timeless, versatile, and appropriate.  I tried really hard to create a logo that incorporated most of these elements.  My logo is definitely simple, as I didn’t put much into the design of the cat. Keeping it simple will make the product memorable and also versatile.  Clearly a cat, and the creative company name, Kat Korner, are both appropriate for my logo.  The color, emotion and logo design website helped me to incorporate the name of the company into the logo.  If I were to just have a simple, sophisticated name, with plain font, it wouldn’t fit with my theme.  The fact that I used a curvy, fun font resembles a happy cat’s tail.



One thing I learned about logo design is to brainstorm first.  It sounds like a simple, easy task but when you’re brainstorming, it’s hard to come up with ideas, not concrete decisions. I had a hard time brainstorming general things about my logo design, and instead tried to go right into a settled idea that didn’t work. I ended up switching my company to animal food instead of kid food. I also learned that simplicity is key.  When we have so many new ideas jumping around in our brains, we want to use them all.  But I have to remember that Nike logo. Everyone knows it, yet it’s so simple.  Finally, not being afraid of originality is something I had to deal with.  It was hard for me not to think of logos and companies I already knew and incorporate them into mine.  Starting with a fresh piece of paper really helps to just let your mind float and see what it creates.  Also, if you find a lead, keep going, but if you get stuck, go back to brainstorming general ideas.



When I look back at the criteria and process of designing a logo, I realized that we did it. It was hard work, but so worth it.  After we had a brainstorming conversation, I got input and feedback about what I really wanted to do. This helped me to realize I really wanted to change my company into a animal product, not a human product.  Also, like I mentioned above, it was hard at first to create original ideas without using clip art or the internet, but after using the tablet, I created a simple cat that was unique and playful.  I really like how my company name came out, too.  It specifically goes along the cats tail to show that the logo and name compliment each other.  On another note, looking at the websites we use to brainstorm showed me the do’s and dont’s of logo designing; I especially loved Jacob Cass and his story.  He inspired me to work harder and to go further in my creative brain.  Finally, I believe I deserve a 3.5 because my logo meets all the requirements, is unique and original, and fits my companies theme (although all beginner logo designers need room for improvement!).




No comments:

Post a Comment