Thursday, January 23, 2014

Positive & Negative Space Carved Pumpkins


Purpose:

To use problem-solving skills and knowledge of positive and negative space to create a unique design on the surface of a pumpkin and with carving a pumpkin

Reflection:

Every pumpkin has its own story. Pumpkins come small, large, fat, and skinny but they all have one thing in common: hard surfaces.   Unless the pumpkin has rotted, carving the surface of a pumpkin is really hard.  It takes a lot of patience to carve the surface area of the pumpkin.  One thing I found difficult was getting a clean edge.  Since the surface wasn’t smooth in all places, it was hard to clearly carve out the surface.  In reality, it would take a lot longer than we had to spend on the project getting every little piece out off of the pumpkin to make it look white and professional. 
I wanted a design that was traditional to Halloween, but also one that wasn’t scary.  I thought that an angel would be a good pick.  It took a few tries of sketching out what I wanted my angel to look like and what negative and positive space to use.  Unfortunately, I didn’t have as much time as the other students so my carving didn’t come out as neat and creative as I hoped. Nevertheless, it’s simple, cute, and carved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment