Thursday, January 23, 2014

Fonts have Feelings, Too










Purpose:

To continue to explore and learn tools in Photoshop, specifically, the text tool and it’s many options;
To continue to use creative problem-solving skills to complete the assignment.

Reflection:

When I explored photoshop’s text tools, I became aware what photoshop was really capable of. Watching the tutorial first that Mrs. Noack showed us really helped me to figure out which tools were which and when I got stuck, I simply went back to the video.  One thing I learned was that when you rasterize a text to transform it, you can’t go back and edit.  This means that you’d have to be happy with the font you chose and the way it looked before warping.  I also really liked that I could scroll through the fonts by highlighting the text because it’s a quicker way to find a font that feels like the word.
I took a leap with this project because I picked a few words that weren’t on the list.  Hot and cold were especially hard for me to create a “feeling” for.  I eventually found a texture for the word hot that looked like a lava “heat wave” with the flow of the letters in the word.  I also took into consideration the layout of the page.  Two pairs that I am most proud of with their layout are higher and lower and light and heavy.  The higher and lower pair is structured so that each word is doing what it says, going higher or lower, away from each other.  Also, light and heavy worked well because I made light softer than heavy by putting light on-top of heavy.  These both helped to show physically what the word feels like and also create an appealing visual.
After meeting as a whole group to show what we had done so far, I got an idea about how to make my words look more interesting.  Someone had a word with separate letters as different fonts.  This gave me the idea of using the world ugly on different layers in photoshop.  This way, I could move each letter in a different way to show a medley and how I imagine ugly.  



No comments:

Post a Comment